Loreto chapel (Loreto) is a structure imitating The Shrine of the Holy House in Loreto, Italy. These sanctuaries were built around the whole of Europe mainly during 16th to 18th centuries as one of manifestations of baroque Marian devotion. In the 14th century it became a famous pilgrimage point. The stones which come from house presumably occupied by the Virgin Mary of Nazareth are deposited here. The stones got to Italy at the end of 13th century with the help of Angeli family, whose name evidently contributed to a birth of the legend about miraculous transfer of house of the Virgin Mary by angels. Also narratives about miraculous healings attributed to Black Madonna Mary of Loretan are tied with the Loreto.

Bell tower by Loreto and Church of St. JohnBell tower by Loreto and Church of St. John
besides this larger, late-gothic bell with Small Calvary and symbols of four evangelists on it, the bell tower shelters also a baroque bell, which was quenched by J. Z. Kercker.
Paintwork in domePaintwork in dome

from 1725 depicts a celebration of the Virgin Marry. The author is F. Ř. I. Eckstein. A spectator may see evangelists and thinkers of the order and panegyric statements relating to the Mother of God in the spandrels.

Portal of Loreto chapelPortal of Loreto chapel
made by J. Kristián Pröbstl before 1726. Angels carry a string course with prayers which pray to the Virgin Mary, which is upheld by puttis above the cartouche. The relief also depicts a model of the Holy House.
Ecce homo group of statues Ecce homo group of statues
by J. J. Schauberger is placed on the balcony by top of Saint Stairs, above the altar with a statue of Christ’s Heart and other decorations.
The Holy HouseThe Holy House
is in interior characterized by tinny and brass features and paintworks on artificially created fragments of parging.
The Saint Stairs The Saint Stairs
of 28 steps with relics of saints are decorated with statuettes of angels with tools of the Passion of the Christ on a balustrade. At the heel of stairs we can find stucco statures of the Virgin Mary and St. John.

The church

The church of St. John forms an integral part of Brno since the 13th century. However, its appearance has changed during centuries, especially during the baroque after reconstruction conducted by architect Maurice Grimm. Today, the church is formed by single-aisle area and elongated chancel, typical for mendicant orders (to which the Minorites belong) since the Middle Ages. The church makes the heart of Minorite premises, the Loreto chapel adheres to its north side, the cloister with the garden of Eden adheres to its south side.
Western frontage of churchWestern frontage of church
which opens to Minoritská street is decorated with a number of baroque statues of saints by J. K. Pröbstl and J. J. Schauberger. The facade is subdivided by vertical pilasters with composite capitals, which carry the horizontal cornices.
Interior of the churchInterior of the church
will absorb a spectator with well-balanced connection of baroque architecture, paintworks and statue decoration. Besides the main altar with painting by J. Stern and side altars in niches, we can also admire an organ-loft decorated with statues of angels with music instruments. Paintings on vaults were made by J. J. Etgens.
Altar of the Saint Cross Altar of the Saint Cross


The Little Brothers of Francis settled in Brno in 1230s and since then the minorite monasterial complex formed an integral part of the city, which has been spiritually and culturally enriched by the monastery for almost 800 years now. Although we may find several medieval monuments here, today we first of all perceive its baroque appearance from the 18th century, to which mainly architect Maurice Grimm participated.
View on monastery garden of Eden

View on monastery garden of Eden.

Wall paintingsWall paintings
from the beginning of 16th century are located in the cloister and in several preserved sets they present imagery of Christ’s Passion to the spectator: Coronation of Christ with a crown of thorns, Ecce homo, Carrying of the Cross and Christ the Painful. It is a very valuable piece with both gothic and renaissance signs, influenced by great masters from Upper Austria.
Portal to capitular parlourPortal to capitular parlour
is located in the eastern shoulder of the cloister. The concession portal from 1270s is the oldest preserved monastery monument and we may thus picture an appearance of local gothic architecture. One can distinguish the remnants of red and green polychrome on the stone. In the top of the archivolt, there is a portal with a sculpture of an angel with grapevine. Archaeologists discovered this monument in 1998. It had been walled up for a long time.
Stone statue of MadonnaStone statue of Madonna
from around 1400 is now located in the former capitular parlour. It used to be in Loreto, but its original placing or author is unknown. With its present location it complements the area of the capitular parlour, where you may find features of middle age architecture and fragments of paintings. The Virgin Mary with little Jesus reach life proportions; a spectator may admire numerous wrinkles on Mary’s vest and also movement with which the child is playing with its own foot is interesting.

Minorite convent in Brno


From The History Of Minorite Monastery In Brno

The arrival of the Order of Friars Minor played a very important role in shaping of Brno as a medieval town, which culminated in 1230s. Jan Velen Černohorský from Boskovice is, according to the monastery chronicle, regarded as a founder of the monastery. In the same chronicle we can find that the Minorite monastery of the Saint Jan Křtitel (Saint John the Baptist) was consecrated by Bishop Bruno from Olomouc in 1257.

During the Middle Ages the Minorites had to cope with two destructive conflagrations, with the help of the town council and the House of Boskovice. During the Hussite wars many Minorites from Bohemia and the Premonstratensians from Zábrdovice came to the monastery of St. John. After termination of fights, master Jan Hufnagl sent for new friars from Italy, who helped to get closer to spiritual and cultural trends there. The monastery was also a residence of Czech-polish provincial superiors and is well-known for its order study. At the beginning of the 16th century, the monastery enjoyed the goodwill of town inhabitants and it was further cultivated.

Only the Minorite monastery of St. John was reserved for catholic services in Brno during the Czech uprising between 1619 and 1620, besides the Dominican church; Lutherans were sent to the remaining churches. Mořic (Maurice) Grimm finished the baroquisation of the whole object in 1733, during which significant structures - Loreto and Svaté schody (Saint Stairs) - had been developed. The bloom of the convent culminated in the middle of the 18th century and it was not even abolished by Joseph II within the scope of his reforms. In 1784, the monasterial cathedral was transformed into a parish church, conduct of which was reserved to Little Brothers of Francis.

Although the Minorite premises survived the Nazi occupation, it was damaged by bombing at the end of the war. The Communist regime annexed the monastery in 1950. However, Little Brothers repossessed their monastery after the fall of Communism, and they have been at it, as the only order in town, for almost 800 years now.

Conducted tours

Currenlty, the Minorite Convent provides conducted tours of monasterial premises, namely for collective tours, school or other excursions and groups of 5 to 30 persons. Date and time and extent of tour will be arranged by appointment via telephone or email given below.


Minorite convent in Brno
Minoritská 1, 602 00 Brno
Tel: +420 542 215 600
Email: brno@minorite